On this page, you will find a list of frequently asked questions and some troubleshooting suggestions for any difficulties you may be having with our webcasts. We use Flash technology to compress our videos. (This is the same compression used by popular sites like YouTube.)
Please note that the Pritzker Military Library does not monitor or maintain the external sites linked here, and does not warranty the accuracy of their contents.
1. Where can I view the live webcast?
Our programs begin streaming one hour before the start time of the event. They can be viewed on the home page or on the event page for that program.
2. Where can I get the media player to view the webcasts?
You must have the Flash player installed to watch our webcasts. The player is available at adobe.com
3. What are the recommended system requirements for viewing a webcast?
- Macromedia Flash Player 7.0+ plug-in
- Windows 2000 or higher (with latest updates installed)
- Mac OS X 10.3 or higher
- Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 5.0+, or Safari 1.0+
- Broadband connection with 500+ Kbps
Many factors can interrupt a live video stream. Please try these following steps to troubleshoot any issues you may be having with our webcasts.
- Close and relaunch your browser window or reboot your computer to clear your machine's memory cache.
- Close any other programs, applications, or browser windows that may also be running on your computer at the time of the webcast.
- Streaming video playback is extremely CPU (computer system) intensive. If your computer system usage is running at or above about 75%, you will likely encounter issues with sluggish or choppy playback. In Microsoft Windows, you can check your computer system usage by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del and then selecting Task Manager. CPU usage percentages are listed under the Performance tab. You can reduce your computer system usage by closing programs other than your web browser.
- Your ability to watch live webcasts is also largely determined by the speed and reliability of your Internet connection. You will need to be able to download at a minimum of 250 kbps to view the content without problems. To test your bandwidth, try speedtest.net.
- Some antivirus programs, Internet security applications, and/or content filters may interfere with the media player's ability to deliver video content. Temporarily disabling those programs may afford you a more enjoyable playback experience. (For information on how to disable a specific program, contact the software vendor.)
- Your Flash plug-in may need an update. To check, click here. Ignore the Adobe Shockwave Player (the upper box). Our concern is with the Adobe Flash Player (the lower box). If your Flash plug-in is current, you should be able to view the graphics below the line that says "Adobe Flash Player". If not, within the box, you should see a message that reads "Click here to download plugin." Click there and follow the instructions to update your Flash plug-in.
If all else fails, there are several alternate methods of enjoying our programs.
- Each webcast is available in its entirety online, usually the day after the live webcast.
- DVDs of each event can be purchased for a donation of $20 or more. Check each event page for ordering details.
- Programs are available for download as audio podcasts.
- Chicago area viewers can watch our programming on WYCC-TV/PBS Channel 20. For a schedule of upcoming broadcasts, click here.
- Ask a librarian at your local public library for the specific DVD at the Pritzker Military Library. Through the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system, it’ll be sent to your local library for you to enjoy.